Senior Assam Congress leader Bhupen Kumar Borah is set to announce his final decision on whether he will step down from the Indian National Congress by Tuesday night, amid intense political speculation and efforts by party leaders to persuade him to reconsider.
Borah, a former president of the Assam Pradesh Congress Committee (APCC), confirmed that he has submitted his resignation but is holding consultations with supporters, well-wishers and local leaders before taking a final call. Speaking to the media, Borah said he would make his decision public after completing discussions with people in his home constituency and close associates.
The development has triggered unease within the Congress, particularly with the 2026 Assam Assembly elections approaching. Several senior leaders have reportedly reached out to Borah, urging him to withdraw his resignation, warning that his exit could further weaken the party’s organisational strength in the state.
The uncertainty has also fuelled speculation about Borah’s possible political future outside the Congress. Some leaders have hinted at internal differences within the party, while political observers suggest his move could benefit the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) if he decides to switch sides. However, Borah has so far not confirmed any plans to join another party.
Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma has said that the BJP’s doors are open to leaders who wish to join, though he did not make any specific claim regarding Borah.
Borah has been associated with the Congress for decades and is regarded as an influential leader in Upper Assam. His resignation, if finalised, would be seen as a major setback for the party in the poll-bound state.
All eyes are now on Borah’s announcement, which is expected by Tuesday night and could have significant implications for Assam’s political landscape ahead of the Assembly elections.
- Log in to post comments